Translate

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Let's Talk About Google Plus

I'm sure we have all heard about Google+, but what is it exactly?  I know that if I was to ask a handful of people what Google+ was and what you could do with it, the majority of them probably wouldn't have a clue.  I do not have a Google+ account, and am a little out of my area here, so I apologize in advance if I don't have the most clear idea of what Google+ is.

Google+ is Google's attempt at a social network.  That's the black and white definition people associate with Google+.  In truth, it was not Google's attempt at a "Facebook killer." (although knowing Google I'm sure they wouldn't mind stealing some of Facebook's share of users).  When it was first released, it was incomplete, which led to a slow start and some negative reactions.  People think of Google+ as a product similar to that of blogger or Gmail, but in reality it was meant as a project.  It was meant to be integrated within Google (which is has with great success).  Almost every blog, news article, video has a +1 tab among the other social media handles.  Since Google dominates the search market, Google+ accounts have risen up to #2 second only to Facebook in active users.

Ok, back to the meat and potatoes of this post.  The goal of Google+ is to cultivate data, connections  and people.  Having a Google+ account essentially enables Google to keep even more tabs on you (as if they don't already) in order to provide you with a more personalized web experience.  Some people might think this is a great idea; others not so much.  If it was me, I wouldn't want Google tracking everything I do online. For the most part they probably do that already to an extent.  Google+ focuses more about personal connections ie your social group within Google's social realm.

Google+ is so broad it seems like different articles I read focus on completely different aspects than the last.  Google+ definitely has a business relation.  It seems Google+ is very versatile for both professionals and everyday people.  Having a Google+, in a way, is like having a LinkedIn profile and Facebook profile in one (or at least it could be used in that way).

I apologize in advance if this post seems a little messy.  I am not familiar with Google+ so in no way do I know about all its features.  I encourage anyone to comment if they are more familiar with Google+ than I am.  I don't mind getting a little knowledge dropped on me.

Until next time...

Chris...

2 comments:

  1. Seeing as you said that Google+ is 2nd to only Facebook in active users, it is clear that their is quite a few people who view Google+ as a worthwhile social network to be a part of. I am interested to know what would need to happen, or what would Google+ have to provide you in order for you to join it? I personally didn't join Facebook until I saw a majority of my friends were on it. So for me to get an account I would have to feel I was missing out on something all of my friends were sharing before I would become interested. What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really surprised me that Google+ was second to Facebook since I literally know no one who has an account. I have no idea what a Google+ page looks like let alone what I could use one for (ie all the extra features you get other than just a profile page). Similar to you, if some of my friends started using it, and exposed me to what features you can do with a Google+ account, then perhaps Id consider making one. The features would have to be stuff Ive never seen before though. I remember having a Myspace account back in the day and refusing to switch to Facebook; but after majority of my friends joining it and showing me some of the cool thing you could do on Facebook, I caved.

    ReplyDelete