Translate

Friday, April 26, 2013

How Linked In are you?

Getting through my last semester of college I have been more and more concentrated on getting an actual job instead of just working at the university's mail room for the rest of my life. As I have been looking for a job and asking people if they know any good companies to work for they always ask me the same question. "Do you have a LinkedIn profile?" Admittedly I do have a LinkedIn profile but I never really use it for what is meant to be used for. I have been thinking more and trying to figure out how many people my age actually use this social media site. I have been asking around some of my friend group and it seems that most of them have a profile but never really use it or barely look at it. I decided to look up more facts about LinkedIn and I was actually shocked what I found. One of the craziest facts I found was that on average 2 new users sign up for a LinkedIn profile every second. That was completely unexpected. What I found more shocking was that according to LinkedIn around 64% of users are based outside the United States. So I decided to keep my ears open around the school of business and see how often this site actually comes up in conversation. I wasn't as surprised what I noticed. Though many people have a profile, no one really talks about this site and it isn't "all the rave' like twitter or Facebook  Since this is a professional site, what would happen if people started treating LinkedIn as the next Facebook? Would employers stop using it to look for credentials? Would it have a negative impact on the job market? These are all questions that would probably come up if this site went down that road.

2 comments:

  1. Check out this site: http://www.squidoo.com/linkedinbusiness
    This may help you to find your way around on Linkedin. Besides having a (complete) profile, you can use Linkedin to search for jobs. Also, I suggest to join groups of your interest. This will help you with networking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think that businesses and those looking for jobs should utilize LinkedIn more? Are there ways that LinkedIn/LinkedIn users can prevent this from happening - it turning into another Facebook, that is?

    ReplyDelete